Sunday, May 31, 2009

Cabana Banana???

Growing up in the early 80s we had a boat. There are only a few things I remember about this boat..

1) It was yellow
2) It was yellow
3) We called it the "Cabana Banana" (because it was yellow, did I mention?)
4) Boats sink without the plug

I don't remember how long we had the boat or even the time frame that we had it. I guess it was the early 80's, because I do remember having to listen to "Ebony and Ivory" ALL THE TIME on the way to the lake.

I haven't thought much about the Cabana Banana in a while, at least not since I gave up my version of the Cabana Banana, but there is a boat in town that is for sale and when I drove past it I had to snap a picture. I'm sure Mom and Kelly will tell me how similar/different this "sighting" of the Cabana Banana is from the original....

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh. That does look like the old Cabana Banana. It sure was yellow. And it WAS 1982 and the long drives to Lake DeGray. Wonder what is the history of the one for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally looks like the Cabana. The other songs on the radio also included Toto's "Rosanna," "Come on Eileen" (I admit, I still like that one), and how in the world could you forget Dad's rendition of Lionel Richie's "Say You, Say Me"--good gawd. He loved to annoy us with that.
    My other distinct memory of the boat adventures was Danny saying he was ready to go skiing, as he held on to the ropes with his legs FLAT OUT BEHIND HIM. yeah, that was a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, "Say You, Say Me"...maybe it was selective memory, but you have brought it to the forefront. Now I'm thinking about the "...fell off the curb into a meat grinder..." ending to all of his stories when he got tired.

    Regarding the skiing technique, I was an 9-10 year old know-it-all....well, I guess some things never change....

    ReplyDelete